Presentation at CSUN Assistive Technology Conference 2017
Ray Grott, ATP, RET
The RET Project, San Francisco State University
- No use of extremities, very limited head range of motion
- Weak and inconsistent speech, but usable with latest version of Dragon speech recognition
- Uses Intag Speech Interface to work with Dragon in email, Office docs, online grant applications, Facebook and YouTube
Sandy and Monique
- RSI with doctors’ orders limiting using of keyboard and mouse.
- Uses Intag to access MS Outlook AND custom PeopleSoft databases for registration and financial aid
- Without Intag: Many menu items and page items are not keyboard or voice-accessible. Numerous screens, making scripting voice macros time consuming and expensive. More commands to memorize.
- Using Dragon Professional
- Monique: Kensington Turbo Mouse trackball, ErgoRest mobile arm support
- Sandy: Kensington Expert Mouse trackball + TASH Micro Light switch and Infogrip sswitch adapted mouse
- Has Parkinson’s-like symptoms with periods of pronounced dyskinesia
- Composer working with Sibelius scoring software and ProTools. Uses Intags and Intag Overlays with Dragon
- Uses custom “typing sticks” and n-ABLER Pro Joystick with tremor dampening
- Uses speech when he can’t use hands well
- Intags work with many different menus and floating toolbars
- Intag Overlays helped when Intag numbers were not sufficient
Raul & Margaret
- Hi level spinal cord injuries requiring use of a ventilator
- Can use a mouthstick, but speech is doable
- Raul began using the GlassOuse head mouse
- Margaret can use a large trackball placed in exactly the right position
- Both find mousing tiring: Intag was most efficient
- Has Cerebral Palsy with very limited hand control and range of motion
- Good speech made her an excellent candidate for speech recognition
- Mouse access was a major challenge, with the best physical option being a modified joystick mouse, though it was slow and tedious.
- Intag reduced the learning curve for Dragon and made many tasks more efficient.